5 FAST FACTS FRIDAY: ST. PATRICKS DAY
Happy Friday, friends! And Happy St. Patrick's Day! St. Patrick's Day is a day to eat, drink, and be merry, but how can all of that corned beef, cabbage, and alcohol affect your health? Find out in this week's 5 fast facts post:
1) Corned beef is incredibly high in sodium - which is not great because sodium can cause high blood pressure and can impair heart health.
2) However, on a more positive note, corned beef is also very high in protein, and the cabbage that accompanies it is chock full of vitamin C and folic acid. All very healthy things - so pass the corned beef and cabbage!
3) Beer is the most widely consumed beverage on St. Patrick's Day. (Guinness, anyone?)
4) Green Beer has also gained popularity because of its festivity, but it's actually worse for you health wise. Consuming too much food coloring has been linked to headaches. (Moderation is key.)
5) Alcohol makes you pee! It's a diuretic that affects the kidneys, causing you to go more often, which can lead to dehydration a.k.a. a worse hangover.
Hopefully our fast facts aren't too much of a downer. You definitely deserve to let loose tonight and enjoy some rest and relaxation. Our advice? Practicing moderation never hurt anybody, and you can lessen the hangover by ending the night with a large glass of water. Have a Happy St. Patrick's Day!