5 FAST FACTS FRIDAY: US OPEN
With the U.S. Open quickly approaching, we can hardly contain our excitement! So, to express our love of tennis, we thought we'd focus this weeks fast facts post on the tournament.
1) The U.S. Open is one of four Grand Slam tennis events every year including the Australian Open, the French Open, and of course Wimbledon, which is held in the U.K.
2) The U.S. Open was the first of the four Grand Slam events to offer equal prize money for both women and men athletes, starting in 1973. It was also the first Grand Slam that made sure the trophies were the same size and shape.
3) The trophy for the U.S. Open is designed by Tiffany & Co. since 1987.
4) The U.S. Open has been played on three different court styles: Grass, Clay, and Hardcourt. It's the only Grand Slam competition to have done this.
5) Tennis is not the only sport that has the honor of being named U.S. Open. Golf, Bowling, Darts, Billiards, Computer Programming, and even Board Games have their own U.S. Open competitions. (Y'know, just to get everyone confused).